[SGVLUG] Needing Home Asistance re-installing Debian, here in Sherman Oaks

Chime Hart via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Tue Sep 12 18:22:45 PDT 2017

Well, 2 leaders of your LUG advised me to write when I need help. In reality
back in January I was exactly 1 day away from an upgrade, but an opportunity
evaporated.
Another of our Luggers in SFV was correct. I phoned Bestbuy Geek Squad, they
have a policy of not supporting Linux.
Some of you know, I am totally blind, only run in console. I know nothing of
burning CDS/DVDs, or creating bootable media. Many months ago my desktop
machine's package manager got messup, so even if I were to try-and-perform an
upgrade, I cannot.
According to a reliable source, this machine needs to be re-installed. I have a
2nd machine which is as a server, storing files to increase space. So items
would need to be moved over there before a new install. I would then love to
have simlinks or some sort of transparency among these 2 machines. The 2nd
machine has no speech, probably no sound-card.
Also, as far as I know an install from scratch in Debian may not talk through an
external DecTalk, so sighted asistance would be `essential.
Hopefully a newer install would fix an Alsa sound system which is dead. And an
urgency is I have around 1month to come up with a playlist for our wedding. Sure
I can read mp3 titles, but cannot demo anything.
I've had great creative asistance over the years, but folks change directions,
find a job, or re-locate. As Leo Laport says, if you're in Linux, you're on your
own. Well, what I am hoping for would be some1 or 2 who would have patients to
get this machine back where it belongs. And, certainly I would be willing to pay
for time-and-or driving. We've asked at the UCLA LUG, but I would have to cart
the machine over there-and-for me, that wouldn't be practical.
If folks are willing to help, probably best to reply to the list, so we can
better co-ordinate. I have all my quoting disabled in Pine.
Thanks so much in advance for a cance of finally enjoying my main machine.
Chime
Sherman Oaks