[SGVLUG] Please promote Nov 9th meeting: Summer App Space

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Thu Oct 26 00:23:36 PDT 2017

Hi all,

We will be meeting at OpenX next month, Nov 9th.  Please help me spread the word about this month's meeting.  I would like to target those who are interested in open source in education, or teaching high schoolers how to code or even those people who are interested in space science problems.  Since it's at OpenX, please either RSVP on Meetup or RSVP with me, so I can populate the sign-in sheet.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/244163293/

I recruited Dr. Christine Corbett Moran to talk to us about a summer program she ran called Summer App Space. She "will discuss the challenges and rewards of instructing a mixed skill class in an apprenticeship style learning environment."

Summer App Space was a 6-week apprenticeship program for high school students and teachers.  The first four weeks were a bootcamp where they learned Python and heard from scientists and entrepreneurs.  The remaining two weeks were dedicated to group projects solving actual citizen science problems.  This culminated in Demo Day, a final presentation in front of judges to determine which team won; the winning team got laptops.

One of the things I really liked about the program was that it resulted in an open source curriculum that anyone can use for self-study.  Her textbook, slides, problem sets, and lecture videos are available, as well as videos of the presentations by her guest speakers.

http://summerappspace.com/

Lan