[SGVLUG] "Passing the Baton: Succession Planning for FOSS leadership"

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Sat Mar 25 13:58:19 PDT 2017

I heard about this talk through a recent blog by Elizabeth K. Joseph about SCaLE 15x, and it really spoke to me because I'm in the same boat with LUG and SCaLE and even at work.

http://princessleia.com/journal/2017/03/scale15x/
"I also really appreciated VM Brasseur’s talk, “Passing the Baton: Succession planning for FOSS leadership”. I’ll admit right up front that I’m not great at succession planning. I tend to take on a lot in projects and then lack the time to actually train other people because I’m so overwhelmed. <snip> I think one of the most important things about this talk was less about the “bus factor” worry of losing major contributors unexpectedly, but how documenting and making sure roles are documented makes your project more welcoming to new, and more divers contributors. Work is well-scoped, so it’s easy for someone new to come in and help on a small part, and the project has support built in for that."

I wasn't able to attend a lot of the talks at SCaLE, so I was delighted that VM Brasseur had done such a wonderful job of capturing her slides on the Internet Archive, where they can be viewed and downloaded in a number of formats.  She also includes two screencasts of the talk; one of them being a practice run before SCaLE.https://archive.org/details/scale15x-passingthebaton

She's a good speaker.  I'm saving a video of her talk so I can watch it during my upcoming vacation and figure out how to apply it to LUG while still keeping us a functional anarchy.

Lan