[SGVLUG] OT: BBS Game

Claude Felizardo via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Thu Jun 15 16:19:29 PDT 2017

OMG, this looks like an implementation of the original Stellar Conquest from Metagaming!

The first computerized version I ever played was written in Pascal by someone at USC on the old TOPS 10 or 20 timesharing system.  I still have the printout at home somewhere.  The first play-by-mail game I heard about was Starweb by Flying Buffalo which was featured as a backdrop to Saberhagen's novel Octagon.  Then there was VGA Planets on DOS   which featured a GUI client and you submit your orders and a batch engine would process all of the orders.  I think it supported maybe a dozen players?  A group played at work once and I would run the batch process during lunch and people would come over to watch the battle scenes.   Then of course MOO and GalCiv and everything else.   Now we play the board game Eclipse.

 I love 4X games!  Just don't have time anymore.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1708/stellar-conquest <https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1708/stellar-conquest>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starweb <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starweb>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_Planets
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse <https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

If Tom was still with us I know he would jump at being able to play any of this.

Braddock, how often do you plan to turn the crank or do you guys play "live" until everyone bails?

Claude