[SGVLUG] Any1 Familliar with smartpm Package Manager?

Larry Hart via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Thu Feb 23 13:24:24 PST 2017

Well, yesterday I asked in another LUG forum, but no1 answered, so I am hoping
some1 here has run this alternative to dpkg.  You see, my dpkg has been messedup
for awhile, so I went looking around packages.debian.org  and saw an item
"smartpm" which after installing, runs as "smart" Anyway, it only seems to
realize some packages which are already installed locally. From an avid
description, it handles dipendancies much better than dpkg. But as an example,
if I type
smart install lynx
it says something like no matching packages. So I can only suppose I must
somehow tell it where to hookup with sources.list
I also looked around the Debian bug tracking system, and items are not newer
than 2011 or earlier. But still you would think I should be able to get this
working with some repos. Thanks so much in advance. And by the way, when running
dpkg related, I get an error about no sandbox on the system.
Hart