[SGVLUG] An autologout Inquiree in TCSH?

Nathan Haines via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Sun Aug 27 23:06:52 PDT 2017

On 08/27/2017 07:23 AM, Chime Hart via SGVLUG wrote:
> Hi All, especially tcsh fans. On a Ubunto 16.04 system I would `love to
> disable an auto logout option. In examining a tcsh man-page, it mentions
> autologout is a "shell variable" Also mentions I can edit
> /etc/csh.logout
> Well, that file has just 1 line, which I suppose I either need to add
> options, or type something at a prompt? I realize bash has an easier way
> of remaining logged in, but I would really want to continue enjoying
> tcsh. So, it looks as if shell variables don't let you type at a
> command-prompt? Thanks so much in advance for any guidance
> Chime

Not to be indelicate, but a quick Google search for "tcsh autologout"
results in 2400 results, most of them links to support sites or tutorials.

The first link is:

https://kb.iu.edu/d/ajgy

I won't spoil the joy of discovery for you, but for anyone who does like
the idea, I will note that bash and ksh seem to use a different
variable--TMOUT, measured in seconds--to provide the same feature.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/