[SGVLUG] how to download and install a free linux distribution?

Jess Bermudes via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Fri Apr 21 13:13:33 PDT 2017

If your motherboard is relatively new, then it might have something called
"secure boot" enabled that may prevent Linux distros on external drives
from booting. Go into your BIOS/UEFI firmware settings and see if there's
anything there like that. Also sometimes in the boot device menu from the
motherboard you'll get an option to boot a device in UEFI mode or not, so
sometimes choosing the other option works better. I feel like I'm not
explaining this properly. Anyone else want to take a stab? Although seeing
how you've previously installed fedora I suppose at one time you were
successful in getting something installed?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI