[SGVLUG] Is GoDaddy for real?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Sep 6 14:23:39 PDT 2016

I've used them as a domain registrar for (16+?) years, and have never
had a complaint about that service, until now.

The hosting plans always seemed to be something I'd rather avoid, and
hearing this, confirms such suspicions. I'm using west-host (for hosting
friend's sites on a VPS), rackspace (for hosting VMs and SSH Tunnels, w/
reverse dns), and my own server (@home) via freedns. All of these work
fine for my personal needs.

However, I recently had a .org domain name that I've owned since 2004,
expire, only to find that they are now charging 2x the amount to renew.
While it's still less than $20/yr, that just seems to be ridiculous
inflation, even to someone from California. ("Come for the weather, stay
for the bankruptcy!")

Although the domain itself is only 6 chars long (which is hard to find,
often), it still doesn't justify the 50% increase over 2yrs since I last
registered it. Domain names are like real estate though, so it's not
surprising.

Needless to say, I've let the domain stay expired. I no longer have a
need for it, which is why I can't justify the purchase, other than a
(very small) tax write-off, which would be better-off going to a charity
of some respectable sort.

-Sean