[SGVLUG] Current Raspberry Pi info

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Tue Oct 4 08:33:50 PDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 08:11 PM, Claude Felizardo wrote:

> Dustin,  I assume you meant dual-homed for ethernet not dual-head
> which usually means multiple monitor support.

Yeah, I did.  The confusion is perhaps an artifact of my naming
convention--multi-homed bits of infrastructure tend to get named after
mythological multi-headed creatures, thus Cerberus (or Kerberos if I'm
feeling particularly Greek), Hydra, etc.

> Depending on your internet connection and/or expected traffic, a Pi
> might be sufficient as a gateway but as I see that Mike has
> responded, you would need to add another network interface at which
> point I would agree that you will probably want to use a dedicated
> router with the ability to run what ever additional services such as
> squid and dnsmask, etc.

Yeah, that's easy, somewhere I still have a one of the classic Linksys
routers with an ancient version of openwrt on it.  Turns out my current
router supports at least DD-WRT, and honestly it's cleaner that way.  I
was just looking for an excuse to use a Pi.  Oh, well, now there's no
good reason to spend the (small amount of) money.

> Sure you could do it yourself but at some point it's easier for you
> and the family to just use Commercial off-the-shelf devices that can
> easily be replaced [, reflashed] and configured.  Plus I'm still shy
> about using a Pi for "critical" applications where a corrupted SD
> card due to a power failure can cause the Pi to act flakey or refuse
> to boot.

In this case, if the Pi isn't the gateway it isn't all that critical.
But as Mike pointed out, it isn't architected for what I want.  Oh, well.

> Doh, I just saw Jess's reply, interesting about using a USB 3 gigabit
> adapter to more than double the network speed but again, once you
> start hanging all those dongles on what started as a small form
> factor and it's no longer really practical other than as an
> experiment.

I don't actually care about the dongles, those dongles would sit in a
tangle up where they won't bother anything.  But I don't want to go to
the trouble and then discover that I don't have enough bandwidth to
stream MLB.com or something.

Dustin