[SGVLUG] Current Raspberry Pi info

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Tue Oct 4 08:26:13 PDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 07:07 PM, Jess Bermudes wrote:

> Yeah, and if you go that route, I've got an Archer C7 with OpenWRT that
> I'm selling for a low, low price!

For only $10 I'll take it and send it eWaste next time I have a load. :-)

> (That's a joke for the people who were in the room when I released the
> magic smoke from it)

It's important that everyone understands the fundamental electronic
principle of Magic Smoke.

> But apparently, while the Ethernet jack will only give you up to the
> theoretical 100Mbps, the underlying USB 2.0 Bus can still serve the
> theoretical 480Mbps, so this one guy was able to get more performance
> and use up to 321Mbps by simply plugging in a USB 3.0 to gigabit adapter:
>
> http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking
>
> It would be interesting to see if you could plug in two of them and get
> ~150Mbps on each adapter.

That would be pretty cool, but it sounds like the Pi isn't really
architected for what I want so that would be an experiment, not
production. :-)

Oh, well, someday I'll find a job I really need to do that a Pi is
suited for.

Dustin