[SGVLUG] Current Raspberry Pi info

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 20:11:17 PDT 2016

Dustin,  I assume you meant dual-homed for ethernet not dual-head which usually means multiple monitor support.

Depending on your internet connection and/or expected traffic, a Pi might be sufficient as a gateway but as I see that Mike has responded, you would need to add another network interface at which point I would agree that you will probably want to use a dedicated router with the ability to run what ever additional services such as squid and dnsmask, etc.

Sure you could do it yourself but at some point it's easier for you and the family to just use Commercial off-the-shelf devices that can easily be replaced [, reflashed] and configured.  Plus I'm still shy about using a Pi for "critical" applications where a corrupted SD card due to a power failure can cause the Pi to act flakey or refuse to boot.

Doh, I just saw Jess's reply, interesting about using a USB 3 gigabit adapter to more than double the network speed but again, once you start hanging all those dongles on what started as a small form factor and it's no longer really practical other than as an experiment.

Claude