[SGVLUG] Student Hackathon advice

Junaid A. junaidjan at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 20:41:27 PDT 2016

Hi Lan,

Thanks for all those resources and great questions.

All I know is that it is a 12 hour event at a religious organization with lots of space to work on (Various rooms can be used by each time to work on their project). I'm handling the entire Tech side by myself, I could use help. There are 75 participants and with teams of about 8 people so possibly 9 teams. They will work on building apps or websites.

There is food and snacks (free) throughout the day.

The students want to build stuff that can help a good cause. I advised them to download stuff ahead of time on Flash drives so lower bandwidth during the event.

There seems to be rules but I am not aware of them. Projects will be judged at the end of the day. The event is this Sunday from 10 am-10 pm

I do not have enough supplies but will ask the Hackathon folks to buy some of their own cables, power surges etc. They are also willing to buy wired switches to avoid using the wireless network completely. However, they have a limited budget and will work with donations or loaners.

There are NO mentors and no one with any past hackathon experience. This is the first hackathon put together by these students organizations representing the entire west coast.

There will be some breaks.

If anyone is willing to to give more advice or even com eout, let me know. The event is in Rowland Heights, CA.

Thanks again.

Junaid