[SGVLUG] [SGVHAK] Testing the new anti-spam settings

Carlos Meza Carlos at digitalr00ts.com
Thu Jun 23 03:07:53 PDT 2016

Hey Jess,

Thank you for looking into this.

Some things in the header of this email that stood out to me:

   -

(signature_incorrect) header.i=gmail.com

   -

   -

   smtp.mailfrom=SRS0+0JeO=SP=sgvhak.net=hak-bounces at eforward3e.registrar-servers.com;
          dmarc=fail (p=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com

I am not sure of the severity of these headers as I would need to learn a
little more about them and how Google deals with them. I know that the DKIM
fail is because it includes the original signature from gmail to the mail
list.

I also wonder if the pointer records for the IP of mail.sgvlug.org (and
hak) resolving to sgvlug.towhee.org can cause issues. I believe this may
cause some spam/blacklist filters to flag mail. This also may break DNS
queries, i.e. when I search the TXT record for SPF it is only in
sgvlug.towhee.org. This issue can be observed at MX Toolbox by its
inability to find the record for SPF,
http://mxtoolbox.com/domain/sgvlug.org/. If we can not change the PTR,
perhaps changing mail.sgvlug.org from an A record to a CNAME, would be a
functional solution or keeping copies of the records in both zones.

The GNH LUG had a similar issues with Gmail and getting flagged as spam.
Here are a couple notable posts from their mailing list:

   - Argument that mail-list should not have DKIM -
   https://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg32260.html
   - Some setting they ended up using -
   https://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg32262.html

I hope this is more helpful than not. Please let me know if I can be of any
assistance on the matter.

Carlos