[SGVLUG] SGVLUG meeting Jun 9th: "Survival at C: swallowing the Red Pill"

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:56:01 PDT 2016

Hi all,

We are meeting this Thursday, June 9th, at OpenX Technologies (888 E. Walnut St, Pasadena, CA).   This means, of course, that I need to compile a list of attendees for building security.  Either RSVP on Meetup, or drop me a note.  I need a first and last name or initial.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/229463158/
NOTE: Dealing with the logistics of the June meeting has already been pretty stressful on me.  I would appreciate other people stepping up to actually run the meeting, from emceeing to manning the registration desk.

Our original speaker fell through.  Instead, my new hero, Dustin Laurence, will be giving a talk on the C programming language.  Dustin is a long-time member of LUG and spoke at LUG and SCALE last year on "Action-Movie Crypto."

Survival at C: swallowing the Red Pill
Thu, June 9th, 7-9pm at OpenX (888 E. Walnut St, Pasadena, CA)

"Many good, experienced high-level language programmers do not learn C or C++ well until they suddenly need to write an FFI extension, make an emergency patch to an existing C or C++ codebase, re-implement the bottleneck component in the application stack in a fast language, take an attractive job with a low-level programming component, or otherwise move from their comfortable language of choice and swallow the Red Pill of coding closer to the machine.  If you are already a programmer, you don't need to be taught how to program, and your google-fu is strong for looking up detailed syntax.  Instead, this will be a crash course in leveraging skills you learned in a high-level environment and transferring them to these low-level tools, acquiring some new skills you simply never needed before, and a building a mental picture of where the road to expert, idiomatic mastery lies.  We will focus on plain C because C++ is too complex to cover well in a single talk, but much of the material will apply directly to C++.  Perhaps surprisingly, some of  it will even make you a better programmer in your favorite comfortable,  higher-level language."

We congregate at 7pm.  There will be pizza.  We usually start with announcements and Linux in the News around 7:45pm.  Usually, we try to leave OpenX by 9:30pm and usually end up back at Du-Pars for dessert and more talking.

Lan