[SGVLUG] GiggleFiber?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 02:08:38 PDT 2016

So after a year, the promo rate for my triple bundle from TimeWarner
expired so my bill has gone up. The speed has been great, typically
around 60 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, getting close to 100 in the middle
of the night but it frequently stalls, drops to < 5 Mbps often
depending on time of day and then flat out outages that last minutes
to hours.  We frequently reboot the modem when the phone is dead
though the Cable TV portion is usually okay.  We're still getting what
looks like a decent discount for the bundle but the reliability has
been worse than what we had with ATT DSL before trying DSLExtreme for
a couple of years.

When I looked at Giggle Fiber last year which is available in parts of
Monrovia and Arcadia, the price was $30 for 20 Mbps, $40 for 50, $60
for 100 and $70 for unlimited.  Modem rental was $8/mo.  Checking
today, prices have not changed to much for the basic speeds: $20 for
5, $30 for 20, $45 for 60 and now $60 for max.  Modem rental has
dropped to $5.50/mo and free for their max.  I talked to someone at
their storefront last week and was told that Monrovia has imposed a 5%
easement fee so monthy would be ~$63/mo plus a one time $45 install.
You can only use their modems (Cisco, forget the model) supposedly due
to security.  I would need to provide my own WiFi which wouldn't be a
problem.

Anyone have any experience with Giggle Fiber?  What kind of speeds do
people get?  Any drops outs or outages or slow downs?  When I talked
to them last year, they claimed fewer people connected to their nodes
compared to their cable competitors but who is their provider?

We still want TV cable and phone (it's only $10 extra) but seriously
thinking of dropping the internet part and moving to Giggle Fiber.  My
wife talked to TimeWarner and supposedly we can switch to just TV
Cable and phone for much less especially after you subtract their
$10/mo modem rental and $10/mo for their Ultimate 100 upgrade so would
be saving long term once you get past the install but I can't find any
stats on their uptime.

Claude