[SGVLUG] Meeting (1/14) recap

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:52:23 PST 2016

Hi all,
tl;dr Announcements for SCALE, Ubucon, Repair Cafe.  Great material on DNSSEC from Carlos with quite a lot of questions being asked.  Check him out at SCALE on Sunday morning.

* Reminder that SCALE is next week at the Pasadena Convention Center on Jan 21-24.  If you haven't registered yet, you can use the discount code "SGVLG" to get 50% off the $85 admission fee.  There are a ton of cool talks and activities, some of which are quite kid-friendly.   Cory Doctorow is giving the keynote on Friday, Mark Shuttleworth on Saturday, and  Sarah Sharp on Sunday.
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/

* The Ubucon Summit will be at SCALE on Thursday and Friday.   It is a free conference; register at ubucon.org.   You get swag and entree to some social networking events.
http://ubucon.org/en/events/ubucon-summit-us/register/
 Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Ubuntu, will provide the opening keynote for Ubucon Summit.

* Repair Cafe will be at Throop Hall in Pasadena on Sat, Jan 30th, from 11am to 2pm.  Also, there is a tea tasting at 9:30am, and a tree pruning workshop at 1pm.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/227918705/http://www.meetup.com/Repair-Cafe-Pasadena/events/227943516/
* LUG was great.  I think we peaked at around 26 people.  Carlos had a lot of great material on DNSSEC and there were a lot of questions flying around.  He got plenty of feedback.  Michael Starch showed off his car hack--well, a contingent of LUG went out to the parking lot to check it out.  There were a lot of great conversations after the meeting.

The nice thing about meeting at a 24-hour restaurant is that you can sit in a nice warm place and have your drinks refilled as you talk for hours.

Our waitress is named Margot.  Tip her generously.  She may seem a bit frazzled, but the room gets reserved, we get our orders taken, and we get our separate checks without having to make a fuss with the manager.  And, as I mentioned, we get our drinks refilled right up to when we leave.
Lan