[SGVLUG] NASA Space Apps Challenge - Apr 22-24

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Sun Feb 7 00:52:55 PST 2016

Hi all,

Sorry for cross-posting to both LUG and HAK.  This seemed applicable to both.

There is an international hackathon coming up called the Space Apps Challenge, a NASA Open Innovation Initiative.

https://2016.spaceappschallenge.org/

They are currently soliciting for people to host a Space Apps event in their local community, with the deadline being Feb 24th.  The actual hackathon is supposed to be 48 hours and the date I found on the website was April 22-24th.

I don't know much about it except that it has existed since 2012, and it's one of those things where you can host an event, attend an event, or participate virtually.

"Part of the Open Government Partnership, Space Apps is an annual event that pulls citizens together regardless of their background or skill level. Don't let the name fool you... it's not just about apps! Tackle a challenge using robotics, data visualization, hardware, design and many other specialties! Inspire each other while you learn and create using stories, code, design and, most of all, YOUR ideas. Show us your problem-solving skills and you may be a Space Apps award winner or featured on Open NASA!"

They have identified 6 different categories for the challenge, but the actual details are TBD.

 * Aeronautics
 * International Space Station
 * Solar System & Beyond
 * Technology