[SGVLUG] Recommendations for > 100 MBbs routers

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 03:30:05 PDT 2016

1) 3 port is $100, 5 port is $50. 3 port has three router interfaces and is
built to be a pure router. 5 port has one internal router interface and 5
external switch ports, allowing it to be configured to act like the kind of
4 port Linksys/Netgear/DLink home "router" all-in-ones you're used to,
minus the wifi. Considering you intended this to be a set and forget
network appliance, I'd recommend the 5 port EdgeRouter X, as it'd give you
the closest thing to what you had in mind with minimal power cabling and
the lowest cost, though there's reason to believe the switch is a
bottleneck that could limit your WAN to LAN performance if you push it hard
enough (hard as in harder than 500Mbps). I haven't tested it, since all of
my EdgeRouter X 5 port routers have gone to friends.

2) Yes. Configure your existing APs so that DHCP is not enabled, give them
an IP other than 192.168.1.1 (use 192.168.1.2 for example), then connect
their LAN port to a LAN port on the EdgeRouter. Unifi controllers control
any Ubiquiti Unifi APs you may decide to purchase at some point in the
future. My DDWRT flashed Netgears work fine with the EdgeRouter.

3) If you want to use a switch, a dumb switch will simply "split" the port
coming out of the router. That should work with any switch, and has worked
fine with the various pieces of Netgear, TPLink, and ASUS gear I've
connected with mine. I also had my erlite3 trunked to a Netgear "smart"
switch using 802.1q and it worked fine, though the Netgear switch's config
was kind of weird (they required the VLANs to be set in two different pages
for each port).