[SGVLUG] How do you use yum/dnf across major versions?

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Fri Apr 29 16:00:51 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 02:13:39PM -0700, Matthew Campbell wrote:
> You are right that the package is in the EPEL repo, but I still have
> the same problem:  How do you ask RHEL7 to install a RHEL6 package?
> It appears to be silently ignored.

Hey, sorry to be late to the party on this one but I think the right
solution was not really hit upon.

Number one, since this is an EPEL package, go to the RedHat Bugzilla
at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and file a bug against your package in
EPEL 7.  This, of course, benefits everyone.

In the mean time, you have two options.

You can download the particular EPEL 6 package and use yum to install
it.

# yum install /tmp/perl-Net-SSH.*.rpm

Note to always use yum (or dnf) to install every package.  As it turns
out, yum and rpm use two separate databases, and although yum updates
the rpm database, rpm does not update the yum database.  To keep them
in sync, don't use rpm -i or rpm -F.

Optionally, you can download the source RPM and rebuild it for EL7,
then create a local repository of your own packages.  You can then use
puppet/chef/whatever to push the repository to all your nodes.