[SGVLUG] How do you use yum/dnf across major versions?

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:15:26 PDT 2016

CPAN is not recommended for Perl on RH based distros as dependency
tracking is not handled properly.  If you install through yum or dnf
you won't have a future update cause incompatible versions to be
installed.

Also CPAN is not trivial to get to work properly, you end up spending
a lot of hours monthly in build maintenance instead of application
deployment.  Stable packages from the repos are the way to go (at
least as long as they are supported by RH :(  ).

Matt

---------
Matthew Campbell
Storage and Cloud Strategy
Office of the CTO

Kaiser Permanente
99 S. Oakland
Pasadena, CA 91101

626-564-7228 (office)
8-338-7228 (tie-line)
818-314-9897 (mobile phone)
Green Center 3-North, 031W29
---------
kp.org/thrive

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Matthew Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Carlos,
>
> You are right that the package is in the EPEL repo, but I still have
> the same problem:  How do you ask RHEL7 to install a RHEL6 package?
> It appears to be silently ignored.
>
> Matt
>
> ---------
> Matthew Campbell
> Storage and Cloud Strategy
> Office of the CTO
>
> Kaiser Permanente
> 99 S. Oakland
> Pasadena, CA 91101
>
> 626-564-7228 (office)
> 8-338-7228 (tie-line)
> 818-314-9897 (mobile phone)
> Green Center 3-North, 031W29
> ---------
> kp.org/thrive
>

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Carlos Meza <Carlos at digitalr00ts.com> wrote:
>> Hey Matt,
>>
>> The first thing that comes to mind is to use the EPEL repository. It does
>> appear to be there,
>> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repoview/perl-Net-SSH.html.
>>
>> I am not a Perl person, but would CPAN be an alternative as well?
>>
>> Other then that, how you are doing it makes sense to me.
>>
>> Dunno if that helped any.
>>
>> Carlos Meza
>> @digitalr00ts
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Matthew Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a currently maintained Perl manifest that is required by an
>>> application orphaned by vendor realignment.  The Perl package is
>>> maintained in the RHEL6 and Fedora 23 lines but is not in the RHEL7
>>> repositories.
>>>
>>> It does exist in the rpmforge repository, but only as a rh6 package.
>>>
>>> --> What is the magic incantation to reset the yum major version
>>> number for a single yum/dnf run?
>>>
>>> The package is fully functional on 7 (I installed manually and tested)
>>> but I would like to automate installation from puppet/chef.  I did get
>>> it working by hard coding the couple dozen dependencies but looking at
>>> the resulting code consider that approach unmaintainable.  Once
>>> installed the packages are managed correctly by dnf.
>>>
>>> I have spent an undue amount of time online trying to unearth a
>>> solution, has anyone run across this before?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts,
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> % ssh oldserver
>>> % cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
>>> % yum search perl-Net-SSH
>>>  * rpmforge: mirror.chpc.utah.edu
>>> perl-Net-SSH.noarch : Perl extension for secure shell
>>>
>>> % ssh newserver
>>> % cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
>>> % yum search perl-Net-SSH --releasever=6
> [...]
>>> 8-338-7228 (tie-line)