[SGVLUG] Can I Manually Change an IP Address on my Local Machine?

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:48:52 PDT 2016

Good afternoon, sorry to hear about the problems you are facing.
Network problems are sometimes easy to fix, but intermittent problems
can be a real bear to diagnose.

If you have more modern Linux machines the command to list your current IP is:

ip addr

The older method to list all your interfaces (whether they are
configured or not) use:

ifconfig -a

If you have any Windows boxes you can get their configuration with

ipconfig /all

Getting all the machine's current states is a start but you really
want to figure out whether they are configured with a static address
or if they are getting a connection automatically though DHCP.  A
likely problem may be that the uVerse guys installed a conflicting
DHCP server in your house.  If you have two servers handing out
conflicting addresses you would see intermittent failures.

Good luck!

Matt

---------
Matthew Campbell