[SGVLUG] Can I Manually Change an IP Address on my Local Machine?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Mon Apr 4 12:03:04 PDT 2016

Well, I am eventually posting separately to both SFV and SGV LUG forums. Some of
you may remember, gradually since March 03, seemingly while my Linux machine is
connected to an AT&T Gateway, other items such as an Apple TV, other wireless,
and at least 1 Uverse box will quit working.
1 of our quite knowlegible Luggers suggested I run mrtg to annalize trafic
through this router, however, since I am still totally blind, an output would be
completely graphical. So I phoned the Leo Laport show on Saturday. As comments
came in, an interesting suggestion. Some1 is betting a conflict among my desktop
machine and the Gateway? So if this is the case, can some1 please inform, can I
manually change an ip address of the local Debian machine? And exactly what will
I type?
When the desktop is even disconnected from the Gateway, even 3minutes, the 2nd
Uverse box wakes up, but since I watch CNN International `alot, I really `need
to find a solution. Several Uverse techs were sure it is the desktop machine, no
matter what other items are wireless or ethernet, they will not connect while
desktop is connected. Thanks so much in advance for suggestions. This machine is
still running at 157 days.
Hart