[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG next Thursday (09/10) -- Action-Movie Crypto

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:52:58 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Sorry, I've been a bit distracted by work and other things, so I'm not as proactive about publicizing stuff for LUG and HAK.  I invite other people to step up in this arena because I can't guarantee that I will do it in a timely manner.
This month, long-time SGVLUG member Dustin Laurence will be reprising his SCALE 13x talk: Action-Movie Crypto, a cryptography talk aimed at beginners of all ages.  (I remember hearing something about him test-driving this talk on his son who is 10, I think.)   We'll also be talking about the SGVLUG BBQ (September 19th -- save the date!), the 20th anniversary bash (Nov 14th), and our plans for SCALE 14x, which will be at the Pasadena Convention Center January 21-24.

We are meeting at Du-Par's -- the usual dinner at 7pm and presentation at 8pm.  I plan on getting there at 6:30pm to tweak the room layout.  I could always use help.  Please spread the word about the meeting. And please RSVP, whether on Meetup or to me. Du-Par's has been annoyingly consistent in trying to funnel us to that back patio room instead of the more spacious and better laid out middle room (the Barrymore room).   I want to have a solid 20-30 RSVPs in hand so I can more firmly express our desire for the Barrymore room.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/224577917/
If anyone wants to attempt to record this talk, I'm willing to provide the camcorder and tripod.  You are responsible for setting up and operating the camera and getting the video onto our Youtube channel later.  We have never recorded a talk at this venue before, so I am not sure what the best setup is.
You are not required to order a meal, but you might want to nurse a drink. To minimize interruptions during the presentation, please get your entire order in (including dessert) as soon as you sit down.  Ask for separate checks and see if you can settle your bill before 8pm.

Parking is behind the restaurant in a large lot shared by other shops/restaurants on Lake.  Parking tends to be a bit difficult around 6pm, but it might ease up after 7pm.  I don't know if they have a time limit on parking in the lot, but I have always felt comfortable parking there for long periods of time.  You are welcome to read the signs for more info or to ask the restaurant.  You will want to avoid the stalls closest to the shops, as I think those are short-term parking spots.

WEBSITE: http://www.sgvlug.org
MEETUP: http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/224577917/
TOPIC: Action-Movie Crypto
PRESENTER: Dustin Laurence
LOCATION: Du-Par's Restaurant and Bakery

214 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CA

ABSTRACT:

The details of how cryptographic algorithms are designed, implemented, verified, and assembled into cryptosystems requires expert knowledge. Fortunately, the big picture of how the resulting cryptosystems are used does not. For most users and even most programmers, the underlying algorithms are black boxes that they do not and need not understand, while the language and conceptual framework of modern cryptography are very useful in putting those algorithms to practical use.
 We will sketch out that conceptual framework at action-movie speed using the simplest of classical cryptographic algorithms to represent the modern black boxes for concreteness while studing everything but the algorithms themselves. After the presentation you should understand: elementary cryptographic language, security as a probabalistic rather than absolute guarantee, why the size of the keyspace matters, why practical security depends on choosing keys randomly, what side-channel attacks are, what public-key cryptography is, and what a digital signature is. You should also have the basic conceptual framework and vocabulary for further study or self-study. The presentation should be accessible to beginners of all ages.

BIO:

Intending to become a programmer ("developer" hadn't been invented by the marketing department yet), Dustin got sidetracked and spent more time than he cares to admit doing theoretical physics, a background filled with continuous mathematics almost entirely irrelevant to computer science and cryptography. He eventually returned to his original love, and these days writes cryptographic and embedded software for Gem, Inc. He believes that every programmer and indeed every citizen must be cryptographically literate in the world he and many, many others are busy creating. He avoids social media for the same reason he doesn't do crack cocaine.

Lan