[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG this Thursday -- Docker

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:30:09 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Glad you guys are looking forward to the June meeting.

Our topic this month is introduction to Docker. Our speaker is Dan Isla, an IT data scientist with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Richard has made the arrangements for us to meet at Du-Pars, though I don't know if we're in the back room again or in the larger middle room we were eyeing last time.

Dinner will be at 7.  The talk will probably begin around 8pm.  Before the presentation, we have some club business.  Steven Doran and Michael Starch are spearheading the planning of the LUG 20th anniversary bash.  If you have an opinion, please voice it at LUG or on the mailing list after.

Please spread the word about the meeting.  And please RSVP, whether on Meetup or to me.   It's still a pretty new venue for us, and we might not have enough seats if we can't tell them approximately how many people are coming.

You are not required to order a meal, but you might want to nurse a drink. Parking is behind the restaurant in a large lot shared by other shops/restaurants on Lake.  Parking tends to be a bit difficult around 6pm, but it might ease up after 7pm.  I don't know if they have a time limit on parking in the lot, but I have always felt comfortable parking there for long periods of time.  You are welcome to read the signs for more info or to ask the restaurant.  You will want to avoid the stalls closest to the shops, as I think those are short-term parking spots.

WEBSITE: http://www.sgvlug.org
MEETUP:http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/221830022/

TOPIC: Docker
PRESENTER: Dan Isla
LOCATION: Du-Par's Restaurant and Bakery

          214 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CA

ABSTRACT:

Docker is a hot trend in today’s tech community, making it easier than ever to containerize and deploy modern, and legacy software applications.  While often mistaken for virtualization, containers take a new, lightweight approach to abstracting and isolating the runtime environment, dependencies and networking required by modern software.

This talk will cover how to get started with Docker, best practices for containers and example workflows for developing and deploying containers locally and in cloud environments. After this talk you should have the essential building blocks for building a containerized environment and application stack.

BIO:

Dan is an IT Data Scientist in the Office of Chief Technology and Innovation at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory where he is using the latest software and open hardware technology to bring new ways of working with big data and computing infrastructure to space missions. In the past, Dan has worked for a handful of startups and has been an avid Linux user for many years.

Lan