[SGVLUG] Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi Password With Contacts - Slashdot

RG Wilcox e320r837i4031j316 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 11:42:24 PDT 2015

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/01/2121252/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-password-with-contacts

The Register reports that Windows 10 will include, defaulted on, "Wi-Fi Sense" which shares wifi passwords with Outlook.com contacts, Skype contacts and, with an opt-in, Facebook friends. This involves Microsoft storing the wifi passwords entered into your laptop which can then be used by any other person suitably connected to you. If you don't want someone's Windows 10 passing on your password, Microsoft has two solutions; only share passwords using their Wi-Fi Sense service, or by adding "_optout" to your SSID.

Robert writes:

This one more reason to stay away from any W$Ndow$ OS, but here's the catch. Unless you can remotely connect to let's say somebody in New York state, then you gotta know that users city, and street address and drive up near their home and hack into their wifi with the known given password.

I'm not missing anything am I??? The 4th solution below is the best of all !!!

Another writes:

If you don't want someone's Windows 10 passing on your password, Microsoft has two solutions;

Not a problem for me, they missed the obvious third solution. Never ever use Outlook, Don't use Skype and don't use Facebook. Problem solved without having to change my SSID. And, of course, there is a fourth solution but that involves using Linux.