[SGVLUG] Meeting next Thursday + promoting upcoming LUG meetings

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:26:09 PST 2014

Hi all,

Reminder that we have a SGVLUG meeting next Thursday at Burger
Continental. It's the first one after SCALE, so we will have a lot to
talk about.  I don't know if anyone has leftover swag from SCALE.  I
think I have a lot of penguins to give away.  The meeting starts at 7pm as usual, but our presenters will not be
available till 8pm.  It would be nice if we can make sure that Burger
Continental stays open a little later than usual next Thursday.

The March and April meetings are related to the One Laptop Per Child project and mention the Internet in a Box project.  These are all worthwhile projects and they could use more volunteers.  Please promote these meetings to anyone that you think would be interested.

The information is on Meetup and on the SGVLUG website (sgvlug.org).

March 8:  Unleashing Kids and Teachers in Haiti
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/163841252/

April 10: Open Source in Education and One Laptop Per Child "2.0"
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/166053072/

Here is the information on this month's meeting

TOPIC: Unleashing Kids and Teachers in Haiti
DATE: Thursday, March 8th, 8pm
SPEAKERS: Curt Thompson and James Murdza
ABSTRACT:

Curt Thompson and James Murdza, both recently back from trips to
Haiti, will talk about the evolution of the One Laptop per Child Project into Unleash Kids, their successes and failures working with schools,
establishing a lasting infrastructure, and the technology behind it all.

Some of the projects they will talk about are a mission school using
OLPC laptops and a school server providing internet caching/filtering
servers, a remote off-the-grid school using only solar power to charge
ten laptops, an orphanage with twenty computers and miniature solar
panels, and several schools using Internet-in-a-Box, an offline source
of Wikipedia, Khan Academy, and Open Street Map.

Lan