[SGVLUG] Recommendation of an open source hardware diagnostic tool

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:35:22 PST 2014

Scott, that is an awesome diagram!  It really points out the right tools to
deep dive into each section of the system.  Someone somewhere has already
written a script to install, configure, run and interpret the output of the
30 tools.  I don't want to re-invent the wheel ;)

Dan, swapping hardware is a good suggestion but I hope that running a
benchmark tool should expose the problem component if there it may also
cover driver issues, kernel issues, networking interactions, etc..  There
are several closed source solutions along these lines. I was hoping someone
on this list had experience with an open source product like the Phoronix
suite

http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
http://openbenchmarking.org/

or any of the multitude of other open source benchmarks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_%28computing%29#Common_benchmarks

Matt

---------
*Matthew Campbell*