[SGVLUG] if it possible to sniff packets if you can't get on the wi-fi network?

Homan Chou homanchou at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 21:44:32 PST 2014

So the take away is: the traffic IS encrypted by the router if password
protected to get on the network. I don't know if its wep or wpa.

His in house programmer set it the mac address white listing and now he is
no longer there. I'm not entirely sure what it was for.  The whole setup is
very confusing.  They use PayPal Checkout and don't have a customer login
so prob thought they didn't need https. The pos is a separate website. the
pos is not local, it is available on the Internet over http.  The pos is a
different domain and different app server. But the pos website and the
customer facing website share the same database so I'm guessing a DOS
attack on front-end could still use up all db connections for the
pos.  He's trying to find a new web developer to update his customer site.
But since its so custom integrated with the POS most of them are telling
him he needs to start over. I'm trying to give him some advice and wanted
to understand if keeping legacy code was cheaper or in the long run more
expensive?  Thanks for everyone's input on the security part.