[SGVLUG] if it possible to sniff packets if you can't get on the wi-fi network?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 01:52:25 PST 2014

Review the protocol stack. I don't want to go into the full 7-layer
OSI model but perhaps the Internet Protocol suite is sufficient.  At
the lowest "level" you have the Physical/Link layer which consists of
bits organized into frames which are addressed using MAC addresses.
This would be Ethernet or WiFi.  Next up is the Internet layer which
uses IP addresses to route messages between computers.  The Transport
layer sits on top of IP, hence Transport Control Protocol (TCP) over
IP.  At the very top you have the application layer which would be
something like web traffic using HTTP.

Whitelisting MAC addresses is not sufficient because MAC addresses can
be obtained by listening to wireless traffic and then spoofed but it
can help deter casual users.

Promiscuous mode means the network controller (wireless or wired) will
pass traffic to the CPU, not just packets with the destination MAC
address.  At that point you can capture and analyze packets for
weaknesses.

You can encrypt at any level.  Wired Equivalency Protocol (WEP) was
intended to make WiFi as secure as wired cable but was quickly proven
vulnerable.  WPA, WPA2, etc, are more secure but all wireless
encryption can be broken given time and resources.

Once someone has physical access to your network, they can look at
your ethernet packets and examine the IP end points as well as look at
the contents of your traffic unless you are using encryption at the
application level.  An example would be HTTPS which is HTTP over a
secure transport layer (TLS/SSL) which prevents man-in-the-middle
attacks if implemented correctly.   Same for using TLS to access your
email at a hotspot otherwise you are sending your username and
passwords in the clear.

As long as you are using TLS/SSL, the contents of your connection is
encrypted but anyone looking at your packets can determine where they
came from and where they are going unless you are using say VPN to
access another network then your internet point of presence would be
at that remote network.  The only way anyone would be able to look at
your traffic then is if either your computer or the remote computer
was compromised.

Not being able to connect to the router just means they aren't getting
an IP to do normal Internet access.  They can still sniff the traffic
and even inject traffic!

As for the question regarding a custom point of sale program, where is
the webserver?  In house or at a remote server on the internet?  If
all internal and the POS terminals are hardwired and as long as the
WiFi can't see that traffic then no major problem.  If the store
located such that people can't drive up close enough to access the
WiFi, then maybe.  Hopefully there is only traffic briefly while the
sale is being processed.  Otherwise I would think they would be
vulnerable.  If you want your friend to offer free WiFi, then get
another router and set up two access points: one for the POS but
please use HTTPS, and another for freeloaders with limited speeds.
Let them check their email but not stream video.

Now I have done websites for organizing conferences that could be
accessed using either HTTP or HTTPS so users could start the
registration process and select options but we used a 3rd party
payment gateway service.  I never saw credit card info or billing info
except during development and test.  I used their API to bundle up a
message that was encrypted and protected using multiple factors
including a unique number I created, a number provided by the gateway
service provider when the account was created, a user ID I created
each time and the amount.  When the user submitted, the user's web
browser was redirected to a special URL using HTTPS, the request was
checked for tampering, and if accepted, my application was notified
immediately.  I would also get a confirmation when payment was
actually received.  Again, HTTPS was not required to access my
website, only the processor's gateway.  Anyone sniffing the traffic
could see the user's contact info, options selected and the amounts -
no billing info.

Claude