[SGVLUG] if it possible to sniff packets if you can't get on the wi-fi network?

Jeffrey Kutz jdkutz_682004 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 17:29:23 PST 2014

Interesting question. I am trying to remember back to my Network Design 101, where we used wireshark on a wired network. It was my impression that all that you needed was to see the traffic and wireshark was happy. It is really good security to keep people off of your Wi-Fi by whitelisting the allowed MAC addresses but I don't see where this would stop someone from seeing any open and unencrypted traffic. I would be concerned that someone would get enough information to log onto their private website via a route other than the local Wi-Fi. I would even question just where the security of https comes into play. Is there some open traffic before the http turns into https that would allow some evil-doer to cause trouble?

I will be following this thread with interest. Next year I will get taking a security class at my local tech school. You can be sure I will bring this whole story up for classroom discussion.