[SGVLUG] RHEL6 server: question how to run GUI, gnome-based login on the console?

Scott Packard spackard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 07:47:51 PST 2014

Recently I installed a RHEL6 server into an ESXi server.
I'm using it as a nfs and samba file server.
/etc/iniittab defaults to runlevel 3 in this version of RHEL.
I tried init 5, but it does not start a GUI.
Editing /etc/inittab and changing the runlevel to 5 and rebooting was a
mistake because I lose the ability to CLI-login; I see a CLI of the
services starting, but after the last service starts I get nothing.
Kind of hard to tell whether or not ctrl-alt-F1..F7 work or not.  The way
in is via a Windows XP workstation, then launch a VSphere client, then Open
Console.

yum groupinstall "X window system" says it's already installed.

startx gives me a GUI, but not the full login-based GUI, and none of the
GUI-driven desktop window stuff.

Mainly I'm wanting it for the infomation assurance people who'll be
auditing this weekly.  They are not a command-line oriented bunch.

Regards, Scott