[SGVLUG] Repair Cafe @ Throop on Sat, Mar 1st

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Feb 14 08:02:12 PST 2014

Hi all,

There is a Repair Cafe at Throop UU Church on Saturday, March 1st from
3pm to 6pm.  "This event will have tinkers and tailors, tool sharpening demos and seed and seedling swap for your spring garden."

I know there is interest within SGVTech for this, so we set up a Meetup
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/166233682/

Several people from SGVHAK attended last month's Repair Cafe and we had a good experience.  Some of us needed help repairing things.  Some of us were offering our
skills to others.  We all had a good experience and met interesting
people.  It was  a good way to raise the profile of our group and  give
back to the community.  We would've stayed longer if it hadn't overlapped with our regularly scheduled Saturday afternoon meeting.

Repair Cafe (http://repaircafe.org) is a world-wide movement to minimize
 waste by offering a
place where people can have their broken things repaired.  It brings
together people who have skills with people who need those skills,
whether it's sewing or haircuts, or electronics tinkering.  The group in
 Pasadena holds monthly meetings at various venues.  They are also
involved with the Altadena Time Bank, so the repair people can be
credited time dollars for their work.  They are good community
gatherings and have attracted favorable notice from the City of
Pasadena.  They won a Green City award last year.

https://www.facebook.com/RepairCafe
http://www.transitionpasadena.org/repair-cafeacute-pasadena.html

Last month was a fairly big event since they had a large venue at The Shed.  There was a barber's chair setup for people who wanted their hair cut.  There were a lot of sewing machines.  There were other groups there.   It is neat the kinds of things people bring in to be repaired.  There were people repairing microwaves and vacuum cleaners.  Braddock was trying to repair the stand on his mini-keyboard.  Mic replaced the power cord on a vintage toaster.  John W. and Michael S. fixed a vacuum cleaner.  John W. figured out how my umbrella was broken, and while I couldn't fix the broken mechanism, I could work around it.

There was the Really, Really Free Table, for people could leave unwanted items (in good condition) for others to take.  And there were  boxes of tangerines for some reason.

Hope to see some of you there,

Lan