[SGVLUG] Desknet Source Code

juanslayton @dslextreme.com juanslayton at dslextreme.com
Fri Dec 12 09:30:15 PST 2014

Some of  you are aware of my long-term project to create a network of
keyboards, each printing to a different area of a common projected display
for use in school classrooms.

I was asked last night if I have posted source code for the project, and it
occurs to me that maybe other people might be interested in looking at it.
A picture of the old hard-wired installation is available at
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/juanslayton .  (The current
installation uses wireless USB boards.)  There is also a current tarball
available to download.  It is an attempt at a standard gnu package.  For
anyone not familiar with how to use the standard package, you download the
tarball, then do:

tar -xvvf desknet20.lores.tar
cd desknet
./configure
make
make install

The installation will put a zipped font file in /usr/local/etc/fonts.  You
will have to unzip this.

Dependencies needed to run the program are:

SDL2
SDL2-devel
SDL2_ttf
SDL2_ttf-devel
FreeType

If you just want to look at the code, the relevant files are
desknet/src/dnet.c and desknet/src/desknet.  desknet is a bash script that
configures the network, then invokes the binary dnet (produced from
dnet.c).  Once configured, invoke the program directly with “dnet”

I assume everyone has gcc.  : > )

Juan