[SGVLUG] SGVLUG Meeting: Building Droplabs: a Business Model for the Open Source Community

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Mon Aug 11 12:44:18 PDT 2014

SGV Linux Users Group Monthly Meeting
Thursday, August 14, 2014
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Burger Continental
535 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CA

Christefano Reyes and Lee Vodra will present: Building Droplabs: a
Business Model for the Open Source Community

Founded in 2011, Droplabs is a coworking space, classroom and makerspace
in Downtown Los Angeles. Our community is made up of members who support
each other personally and professionally in a positive environment.

The coworking services and developer programs we offer, like Free
Coworking Days, Coders with a Cause, Mobile Device Lab and Developer
Boot Camps, were made possible because of our love of open source and a
passion for learning.

We'd love to see more places like Droplabs, and we're happy to talk at
SGVLUG about how others can replicate our success — and avoid or
overcome the challenges we've had over the years:

• Identifying a space to build a location-based community
• Traffic and parking in Downtown Los Angeles
• Making decisions in a consensus-based organization
• Empowering members to become leaders
• Disrupting the coworking business model
• Paying the bills (rent, insurance, staff, etc.)
• … and still having fun!

Don't forget to RSVP:
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/194541902/