[SGVLUG] Linux (+mac+win+vmware+apache+...) sysadmin position, Little Tokyo

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Sep 5 11:33:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> The startup I work for is looking for a linux sysadmin.
> (e.g. "We need an apt repo that authenticates via certificates
> and supports Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04!  We need an indexer
> for our intranet documents!  We need to migrate something to
> MediaWiki!  We need to set up PXE boot images for seven
> operating systems!  We need a script to do X, Y, and Z on
> three machines!  We need virsh access to a vmware server!
> We need to put some content on AWS!  The boss's laptop
> battery exploded and blew the trackpad up and out!")

Here's the official job description.

What You Would Do: We’re looking for an experienced, broadly interested and
capable Linux admin to handle management and growth of internal computing
and network infrastructure for Oblong. We're a pretty technical group of
people working in a relaxed environment with various demanding
infrastructure needs. There's almost no 24/7 component to this job, but
there are a lot of machines and systems to keep configured and happy. We
have a very high standard of careful, detail-oriented, responsive
professionalism on our team.

Your primary responsibilities include:
• Maintaining current computing and networking infrastructure
• Repairing and recovering from hardware or software failure
• System/network monitoring & troubleshooting
• System updates/upgrades
• Server/application provisioning
• Resource optimization
• Supporting end users (hardware & software)
• Maintaining inventory

What We Look For: We generally ask that candidates have five or more years
of experience managing, designing, implementing, and supporting
enterprise-grade technology infrastructure in a production environment.
However, we are happy to consider people with less experience who have
stellar references from previous colleagues and employers. If this sounds
like you and you have the qualifications below, we’d like to hear from you!

Required:
• Strong Linux server administration skills
• Strong networking skills (LAN & WAN)
• Familiar with IP networking standards (DNS, routing, switching, security,
etc.)
• Proven ability and comfort supporting end users running Linux, Mac OS X,
and Windows
• Familiarity with open source infrastructure technologies (OpenLDAP,
apache, jabber, etc.)
• Comfortable working autonomously and capable of juggling many
simultaneous projects

We also ask that you have experience in some of the following, and feel
comfortable getting rapidly up to speed on the remaining:
• Firewalls, IDS's, traffic shapers (open source and commercial)
• L2/L3 switches and routers
• High availability architectures
• Central storage/filers
• PBX's
• Backup/disaster recovery
• VPN's
• Network monitoring systems
• Virtualization systems (server and workstation)
• High performance systems

Benefits and Perks:
• Competitive compensation package of salary and stock options
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• 401K plan
• Gourmet lunches!

Please Note:
* Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends,
possibly with little advanced notice. 24/7 on-call is required.
* No regular travel required.