[SGVLUG] *UPDATED* Meeting on Thu Oct 10th: Using Open-Source Tools for HW/SW Development at JPL

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:30:15 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Well, I hope no flyers went out because our speaker had to cancel on us due to a personal conflict.   We are trying to reschedule for a later date.

I found a couple of really cool guys at work who were willing to step in and talk about how they use open source tools in their work.  If you like hardware and embedded systems, this will be a good talk for you.   (Just think of the questions you could ask!)  I've updated the website, but you may not see the update immediately due to caching.

NOTE: In keeping with my recent trend of food bribery, I did promise to bring cookies for our speakers.

The beginning of the school year is a good time to attract new people.  I will give brownies or cookies (literally) to the person(s) who makes and post flyers around Caltech.  It might be worth posting at Pasadena City College as well.

SGVLUG meeting, Thu 10/10/2013 7-9pm
WEBSITE: http://sgvlug.org
TOPIC: Using Open-Source Tools for HW/SW Development at JPL
PRESENTERS: Dmitriy Bekker and Thomas Werne
LOCATION: Caltech - Downs 107. The Downs building is across from the tennis courts on California at Arden.
ABSTRACT:

Tom and Dmitriy will present on how they use open source tools at JPL in their line of work. These tools include: Raspi, GStreamer, Mercurial/Trac, Wireshark, vi, and others.
BIO: Dmitriy Bekker and Thomas Werne are currently staff engineers in the Instrument Flight and GSE Software group in the Instrument Electronics and Sensors Section at JPL. They are working on FPGA-based data acquisition and processing designs for multiple prototype science instruments for ground, space, and   airborne applications as well as technology development for small satellites. Their projects have been deployed to the Mojave Desert, on high altitude aircraft, at observatories, and on CubeSats.

Thanks to Junaid for reserving Downs 107.

Lan