[SGVLUG] C++ code comprehension tools

nopbin at gmail.com nopbin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 02:24:46 PST 2013

Every few years I look around and am usually left wanting.  Like Rod, most
often I too come around to using doxygen with all the options enabled,
which I find quite useful, and sometimes exuberant ctags which I find
rather primitive.

I have also had good experiences using Visual Studio.  I don't recall if it
was stand along or had some plug-ins but the one I used had good code
navigation, quick lookup, cross referencing and search capability assuming
you pretty much load the whole code base as a project.  You might have to
evaluate whether differences between gcc and msvc c++ dialects are going to
make it difficult to get VS to parse the code. I fear it will require
massaging.

If not already, very soon a preview release of Jetbrain's Visual Studio
plugin resharper for C++ should be available. Resharper is an excellent
tool that also offers quite a lot of code navigation and exploration
features. http://blogs.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2013/06/resharper-to-support-c/
Keep an eye on Jetbrains as they have separately announced that a C++
editor like IntelliJ is in the works but I have not heard anything about a
release date.

For what it is worth I recall trying eclipse with CDT some time back and
found it better than ctags but still too limited -- though it has been
under ongoing development and may have improved.
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/

If you settle on a solution that works well for you, please share.