[SGVLUG] OpenERP

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Fri Mar 1 13:08:18 PST 2013

It recently came to my attention that OpenERP version 7.0 was released
some time ago. I've had my eye on this project for a couple years and it
has come a long way.

Specifically it looks like their point of sales module is finally
something that could be useful by small businesses at cash registers.
For years there hasn't been any, even decent, open source POS software.

For some of you maybe run your own business and need some accounting
software. Their accounting module has been pretty good in the past but
it looks much better now. They seemed to have focused on the user
experience. Or if your looking for something that integrates accounting
with warehousing, purchasing, etc, this could be your open source
alternative to what you are now using.

I really don't have any interest in running this sort of software myself
anymore, just thought others might enjoy being aware.

Check out their demo here:
http://www.openerp.com/

Which seems geared towards getting you to purchase as SaaS.

But you can easily find the source here:
http://v6.openerp.com/downloads