[SGVLUG] google drive for Linux petition

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Tue Jul 9 20:58:29 PDT 2013

I think you guys might want to consider alternatives to Google. You can
make lots of arguments why you wouldn't want you data stored by Google,
but I won't make them, ill just list some alternatives:

Self Hosted FOSS Options:

git-annex assistant

[1]https://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/

ownCloud

[2]https://owncloud.org/

More options at [3]https://prism-break.org/

Or if you really want someone to host your data for you, might I
suggest Spider Oak: [4]https://spideroak.com/ They promise
Zero-Knowledge of your data. Its encrypted locally by their client on
your machine, so they have no idea of the content of your files. The
only downsides are they are proprietary and there is no ARM Linux
client (besides their Android client).

Okay, so in the choices I am presenting I am making a subtle argument
why not to use Google.