[SGVLUG] Memory and External HD Questions

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 00:44:38 PDT 2013

Are you trying to boot with the external drive?  Unless you have flakey
drivers I don't think the HD should be a problem as long as the BIOS and
windows can see it.  Now depending on how you install things, the drive
config might be on the internal drive and if you try to boot w/o that
drive, you might have a problem.

When you say it won't boot, at what point does it lock up?  When you first
turn on the computer and it doesn't finish the POST or while it's loading
windows or what?

Are you running with the slower speed memory now?  I would expect that to
cause problems.  I don't recall if the BIOS will recognize the slower speed
memory and adapt automatically.  Does the BIOS recognize this memory?  I
would run a memory diagnostic.  Usually the memtest that comes with some
Linux distros is suppose to be pretty good.

You could also try swapping memory modules into different problems and see
if that has an effect.  For example, you might be able to boot and as long
as your stay within the good module you'll be okay but run more stuff and
you start to access the additional memory and it may crash then.