[SGVLUG] OT: license plate readers

Pete Kelly pkelly at natant.com
Tue Jul 2 14:28:32 PDT 2013

While we are running in off-topic mode...

I enjoyed a chat with a meter-person driving a totally outfitted
Cushman sporting six cameras.  They mentioned that that the process
goes like this. Each morning they download some sort of regional
(County / State / Fed) database so they are comparing to a locally
mounted database.  It takes about a three-car-later period of time
whilst cruising down the street before they get their hit.  But best of
all is that they use the cameras for local real-time parking
violations, that is, if you are still parked in the same location 121
minutes later when they drive by, out spits your ticket.  No chalk.

Later,
Pete