[SGVLUG] spotting skimmers?

Jess Bermudes jbermudes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:06:25 PST 2013

One of the tips I've heard for detecting these types of things is to look
at the card reader and see if it looks like there's an extra piece stuck
on. Most legit readers will be flush with the rest of the machine and will
tend to be one piece. Furthermore, there's no harm in giving the reader a
good tug if possible, the real machines are designed to be tamper-resistant
to some degree whereas the skimmers are meant to be removed.

Google searching for credit card skimmers will show some examples of what
to look out for. As a bonus you'll probably be added to some federal list!

For the sake of science, if you're ever in the area again, take a picture
of it. It'd be interesting to see if the skimmers are getting smarter,
etc., and you'll have gotten some free parts for the HAK meeting show and
tell! :-)