[SGVLUG] Linus' NSFW Comments on Secure Boot

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Thu Feb 28 11:15:02 PST 2013

Here is a follow up article:
http://www.zdnet.com/torvalds-clarifies-linuxs-windows-8-secure-boot-position-7000011918/

tldr:
"""So, there you have it. Until you pry Torvald's cold dead fingers from
Linux, Microsoft Secure Boot keys and signed binary  modules are not
going to be in the Linux kernel.

You will, however, be able to use these to install and boot Linux on
Windows 8 PCs; but that will be done in userspace, not Linux's heart.
And, if you really want to load Microsoft-signed drivers, such as
hypothetical, future binary-only graphics drivers from Nvidia or
ATI/AMD, you'll be able to do that too as well. It just won't be
incorporated to automatically happen in Linux's core functionality."""