[SGVLUG] DC "Think Tank" tells Americans their broadband is really great

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 22:36:21 PST 2013

Ha! I was just about to post that link, Thomas!

I try to catch the Bill Moyers show since he asks really good questions &
the topics are outstanding (not having cable tv makes you search the dial
for good programming & there's LOTS thanks to PBS, so i'm not missing it
one bit!). I really think Susan Crawford should be in charge of the FCC &
the points/stats she references are spot-on. I laugh sometimes, yet it's
sad, that us (open source) techies are so much more aware than lay folks on
these issues (which is one of the reasons I've always liked sharing
knowledge with others & exposing folks to things like Linux & other Open
Source alternatives).

She makes TONS of valid points, specifically where we're so far behind the
rest of the world in terms of broadband access/market penetration, how it
negatively affects learning/innovation & the reasons she gives for why that
is (big cable companies & lack of competitive practices). It's an
info-filled interview for sure & one I highly recommend. Here's the link to
the full show:
http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-who%E2%80%99s-widening-america%E2%80%99s-digital-divide/

Hope to see most of y'all @SCALE!
--miguel