[SGVLUG] open source manufacturing

John Wang red744t at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 23:01:42 PST 2013

This open source manufacturing thing is kind of hard.  Sort of have to design it, build it, then try to sell it.    I'm not very successful at it.  Still no where near fiscal sustainability, but some revenue was generated and if we ignore basic accounting principles, we can share/distribute 50% of the net income*  (* not including rent, utility, and machine payments) from fiscal year 2012.

"Open source" is the glue that holds everything together.  Open source software runs the server, the website, the workstation, the CAD design, and the rudimentary accounting.   In the broadest sense, "open source" sharing of ideas and know how made building the physical and virtual infrastructure possible.   It too many hours of watching and reading up on soldering and pneumatic lines before I picked up the propane torch, and many more hours of watching soldering video after I messed up my first soldering joint.

Anyway, attached is the Y2012 summary.   The planned distribution is,

Debian       $100
FSF           $100
LibreOffice   $50
PostgreSQL $50
LibreCAD     $50
KPCC          $25
KCRW         $25
ACLU           $55.17
Total:          $455.17

The velomobile will have to wait.   My tig welding skill hasn't improved.

John