[SGVLUG] Pipelight: using Silverlight in Linux browsers (Netflix?)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Aug 20 14:42:25 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM, James McDuffie <mcduffie at pitfall.org> wrote:
> Here is a new way you can (probably) use Netflix under Linux:
> http://fds-team.de/cms/articles/2013-08/pipelight-using-silverlight-in-linux-browsers.html
>
> Using this with a UserAgent switcher (so they think you are a Winblows
> user) should get you going using Netflix inside a Linux browser, without
> having to load the Windows version of Firefox like the NetflixDesktop
> PPA does. Although, I haven't tested this myself yet.

Yeah, it's a nice approach.  I think Codeweavers had something like this
long ago (though probably for some other Microsoft plugin, not silverlight).

The guy who wrote the Wine patches needed to run Silverlight continues
to slowly plug away at getting them upstream.  It's challenging to get patches
into that project.
- Dan