[SGVLUG] Rare photos: gnu crashes Windows 8 launch

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Fri Oct 26 19:11:31 PDT 2012

Forwarded message from Free Software Foundation

Happy (almost) Halloween, everybody,

You've probably been noticing Microsoft's ads for their new operating
system -- after all, they've spent more money on them than any other
software launch campaign in history.  In fact, everything about the
campaign has been meticulously planned and optimized, so you can imagine
journalists' surprise when an unexpected guest showed up at an
invite-only launch event on Thursday.

Our volunteer, Tristan Chambers, was there and caught the whole thing on
camera!  Pictures here:
<http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/gnus-trick-or-treat-at-windows-8-launch>.

Reporters and security guards at the event weren't sure how to react
when they were greeted by a real, live gnu.  The gnu -- which, on closer
inspection, was an activist in a gnu suit -- had come for some early
trick-or-treating.  But instead of candy, she had free software for the
eager journalists.  The gnu and the FSF campaigns team handed out dozens
of copies of Trisquel, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution, along with
press releases and stickers.  Once they got over their confusion, the
reporters were happy to see us and hear our message -- that Windows 8 is
a downgrade, not an upgrade, because it steals users' freedom, security
and privacy.

Free software operating systems are the real upgrade, and they don't
need a zillion-dollar launch event to prove it.  To show Microsoft that
their ads won't change our minds, we're starting an upgrade pledge:
switch to a free OS, or if you're already using one, help a friend
switch.  We can pay Microsoft a chunk of change for their new,
proprietary OS, or we can stand up for our freedom.  The choice isn't as
hard as Microsoft wants you to think.

Sign the pledge now! -- <http://www.fsf.org/windows8/pledge>.

Thanks for making a commitment to free software.

PS - If you'd like more details about the action, you can check out
our press release here:
<http://www.fsf.org/news/activists-trick-or-treat-for-free-software-at-windows-8-launch-event-1>.

-Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager