[SGVLUG] X11 gui programming - suggestions please

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Wed Oct 24 15:57:27 PDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 12:29 PM, Robert Leyva wrote:

> I am working on a hobbyist project to generate a coded text file based on
> user input.
>
> I am using C++, and MVC design pattern(s).
>
> For the GUI (view the user will interact with) I am researching gtk,
> curses, and such, but never have used any of them before on a project.
>
> Hoping my fellow SGVLUGers might have ideas/suggestions based on your
> experience doing GUI programming.
>
> I dont' think I will need to draw graphics or images. At this stage I
> expect my GUI would just need to view/display/intake keyboard text.

Anything will do simple jobs OK.

FLTK has a reputation (among some, at any rate) as being easy and
high-performing.  You might also look at the JX project (full disclosure
warning--it contains code I contributed).

The biggest problem for many users is that the open-source libraries
tend to look like Windows/OSX from <mumble> versions ago and therefore
visibly dated, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get around that
problem because it depends on the exact state of development of the set
of libraries you're willing to consider at the exact time you want to
use them.

Dustin