[SGVLUG] X11 gui programming - suggestions please

Rod Morison rod at morison.biz
Wed Oct 24 14:18:17 PDT 2012

+1 on wxWidgets and/or wxPython. I've used wxWidgets for a number of
commercial and personal projects on Windows and OSX. The newish 2.9.4
version cleans up some OSX Lion+ issues with deprecated quickdraw calls
and full use of Cocoa.

I haven't actually used it on Linux/GTK, but believe it's very stable
there. Docs, mailing list and community are solid. Source code is very
readable, though belaying its MFC origins at times. Admittedly, Qt is
better designed, but you can get most jobs done equally efficiently with
either. And Qt's various licensing/ownership incarnations have worried
me over time.

That is, unless you want to get into the real nitty gritty: Xlib
coding...you can learn a lot, but not the shortest path to getting an
app up.

(I see Dan K posted: Yes wx has a solid following indeed...there's
chatter about a mobile/tablet port, don't know where that is at.)

And, for laying out dialogs in wx, try wxFormBuilder, a poor person's
viz studio designer.

Rod