[SGVLUG] Algebraic wifi

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Tue Oct 23 18:04:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:01:57 -0700, Doug Vargas <dougvargas at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> Saw this via slashdot, the speed ups are simply mind blowing, it'll be
> fascinating to learn more about the math used to compute the packets -
sort
> of like an equational hash sum?

Look into FEC error correction coding and specifically error erasure
coding.  This stuff has been around since WWII, and I've frankly been
mystified why it hasn't been applied to Wifi on the packet level since my
first sketchy wireless coffee shop link 15 years ago.
It does incur latency and throughput overhead on networks without loss.

-braddock

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/138424-increasing-wireless-network-speed-by-1000-by-replacing-packets-with-algebra